Ovulation is a part of the normal menstrual cycle of every woman. During this period, the ovary releases an egg for fertilization. If a sperm fertilizes this egg, it will then travel to the uterus and be implanted in it.
In the case of no such fertilization happening, the egg dissolves or disintegrates. The uterine lining that was preparing for an egg to implant will be discharged during the next period that you experience.
If you are having trouble conceiving immediately, understanding your ovulation cycle can be a massive help in increasing your chances of getting pregnant.
What is Ovulation Period or Fertile Days?
For you to become pregnant, the egg released by your ovary should be fertilized by a sperm. Since the egg is released for fertilization only once every month, the period leading up to your ovulation and your day of ovulation are the best days for you to try. The technical term for this duration is 'fertile days.' More commonly, it is referred to as the ovulation period.
Your ovulation can last for a maximum of 12 to 24 hours, but you can have up to 6 fertile days.
When does ovulation occur?
Since this process occurs only once every month, it is necessary to know exactly where in your menstrual cycle does your Ovulation Period fall. Since the menstrual cycle for every woman is different, the time at which you will be fertile will also vary. Very often, your day of ovulation may change with every period.
The ovulation period is usually about two weeks before your next menstrual period is due. The most common misconception held by many women today is that the 14th day of the menses cycle is the ovulation day. This is not true because of the fluctuation in menstrual cycles from person to person and can vary by more than a week in over 46% of the cycles.
How do you identify your fertile days or ovulation period?
One way to figure out when you are ovulating is through ultrasound scans. also known as follicular study . This is a very accurate method of testing, but it can be a tedious process since you will have to go for at least three or four scans. Further, regularly visiting a clinic can increase your stress levels and also puts you at a high risk of catching infections.
Another way to check if you are ovulating is by using test-at-home ovulation kits. It is explained in detail below:
• By judging the levels of certain hormones in your body, the test can tell whether you are ovulating or not.
• The hormones Estrogen and the Luteinizing Hormone (LH) can be tested to find your Ovulation Period.
• Estrogen levels rise three to four days before your Ovulation day.
• The Luteinizing Hormone's main function in your body is to release the egg in your ovaries. The levels of the LH rise significantly about 24 to 36 hours before your ovulate.
• These levels will help you get an idea of when your fertile days are.
Two types of ovulation kits are available in the market: Normal and Digital. The normal kit indicates the levels through lines on a stick , like a regular pregnancy kit and measures only LH hormone. The issue with such a kit is that the lines may be faded and may not always provide the most accurate results. Another disadvantage of this kit is that it often only recommends two fertile days and not your full Fertile Days or Ovulation Period.
A digital ovulation kit is highly recommended. The results are significantly more accurate in as it measures both Estrogen & LH and your results will be available in the App. One of the best, most bought digital kits is Inito. Unlike the normal kit, Inito gives you details about your full fertility window. The few days before ovulation together with the day of ovulation form your fertile days or Ovulation Period. Inito tells you the six most fertile days of your menstrual cycle every month.
How to find your most fertile window with the Inito Fertility Monitor?
The fertility monitor by Inito is a package that includes test strips, an app, and a device that connects to your smartphone. This way, you can know your fertility window comprising of the six most fertile days every month in the comfort of your home, and with the ease of seeing your results on your phone at any time. Further, the results will also indicate your levels of fertility in terms of low, medium, and high.
Listed below are the key features of this product -
• In-App Results - You do not have to go anywhere or do anything extra to find your results after a test. Further, since it is digital, it is more accurate than a strip test in which faded lines may cause confusing results.
• Reminders to Test - You do not have to worry about missing a test or missing your fertility window because Inito will send you reminders to take your test.
• Monitors Irregular Cycles - Inito takes into account the irregularity of your period and adjusts its predictions depending on your body's hormonal changes. The period it tracks is between 21-45 days, and taking into account the variation, it will give you the best fertile days.
• Identifies the Maximum Fertility Window - Instead of giving you the best one or two days, Inito predicts your six most fertile days every month.
• Support from Fertility Coaches - The Inito app allows you to consult fertility coaches who can advise you for free on the best practices for you to increase your chances of pregnancy.
You may get disheartened when you and your partner are trying, but remember that good days are just around the corner, and your persistence is key. Keep track of your fertile days to maximize your chances of pregnancy .